If you are willing to visit outside the country and that too in a vehicle, the two important things which you need is a valid Indian Driving License and an International Driving Permit. The RTO issues the International Driving Permit with a validity of maximum one year from the date of issue. Now there is a full set of process which you need to know while applying for the International Driving Permit. The details are mentioned below.
Process to Apply For a International Driving Permit:
- First of all, you need to visit the RTO with the required documents like a Xerox copy of your passport, a Xerox copy of your visa, a flight ticket which has to be valid, a Xerox copy of your Indian Driving License, and two passport size photographs.
- After visiting the RTO office, you have to fill up the International Driving Permit application form correctly without any mistake. You will get the form in the office.
- After that, you have to fill another form, Form 4/ 4-A. You will get that in the RTO office too.
- Next, You need to present a medical certificate from a certified medical officer stating that you are fit enough to drive.
- The form needs to be attested by a gazette officer who is present at the RTO office.
- Now both the filled forms along with all the required documents need to submitted at the RTO’s office.
- The charges for the International Driving Permit is Rs 1150 and for the medical certificate is Rs 110.
- After submitting all the documents attached with the forms, if everything is right, you will get an SMS from ‘vahan’ within an hour or so.
- You will then get the International Driving Permit within 4 to 5 hours of that very day or maybe the next day. Keep in mind that the Saturday and the Sunday are non-working days so submit your application accordingly.
- You can visit most of the countries using the International Driving Permit like USA, Australia, UK, France, Germany, South Africa, Canada, etc. The full list is mentioned below.