Voting is an integral part of any democratic country like India. It helps a citizen to choose their leader as their representative to develop and implement numerous policies for the welfare of the citizens. One such transformation occurred when India went digital to help the citizens make their voting process easier by enquiring through SMS and the online helpline services. The process was also simplified when the Voter Helpline App was launched. By using the below- mentioned process, one can check their names through the following.
- Through SMS:
- Firstly, voter needs to create a new message.
- Type EPIC<space> your Voter ID number and then send it to 7738299899.
- If your name doesn’t appear then, you need to register yourself as a voter.
- Through Helpline:
- The election commission has launched the online portal to allow citizens to check their names by the following process.
- The platform is both an app-based as well as web-based with the name “Voter Helpline”.
- The app enables the citizen to check certain details such as booth number, polling station, assembly station and serial number among others.
- Once, the citizen downloads the app and open it, the app will direct to the homepage where an option appears named “Search Your Name in Electoral Roll”.
- The next step is, it provides two options 1. To search name by details or 2. Search by EPIC No. ().
- In option number 1, the following details are mandatory to fill such as full name, father/husband’s name, age, gender, district, and constituency.
- Once, the above-mentioned details are filled, a search button appears below, by clicking the same one can find it.
- Another option is to search by EPIC number (Elector’s Photo Identity Card) number.
Thus, the process is simplified by the above mentioned steps and makes it easier for a voter. Due to this online helpdesk, many new voters can easily track, check results and lodge a complaint. Further, without an EPIC number, a voter can still find a name through SMS. This is one of the triumphs of Election Commission of India.