Passport is an address and identity proof which is not only considered in your country but is valid all across the globe. So, it needs to be updated with proper and correct information always. Usually, with women, there is a need of changing the surname r middle name after marriage. For their help, the complete procedure is mentioned below.
Application Process to Change Middle Name/Surname in a Passport:
- The procedure will be majorly offline. The applicant has to visit the nearest Passport Seva Kendra. They can also visit their official website by clicking the link http://www.passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/welcomeLink.
- There you need to click on ‘Apply for Re-issue of Passport’ and download the Form No. II for Miscellaneous Services.
- Fill up the form carefully with all required details.
- You need to submit certain documents with it. The list of documents is mentioned below.
- Book an appointment by paying the fee.
- Visit the nearest Passport Seva Kendra at the time of appointment with all required documents and the filled up form for submission and review.
- Everything will be verified and you will get the corrected passport within a few days.
- Original passport along with the self-attested copy of the first two and last two pages.
- There are certain documents which may vary depending on the reason for name change. They are-
- If a woman wants to change her name after marriage, she has to submit a copy of her husband’s passport with a copy of attested Marriage Certificate or other evidence of marriage.
- If a woman wants to change her name due to divorce reasons, she has to submit a certified photocopy of the Decree of Divorce and sworn affidavit or Deed Poll.
- If a woman wants to change her name after remarriage, she has to submit a certified photocopy of the Decree of Divorce or the death certificate of the previous husband along with the copy of attested Marriage Certificate or other evidence of second marriage.
- If any of the above is not the case then, the applicant must apply with the sworn affidavit or Deed Poll and the copy of the advertisement in two newspapers regarding the change of name. (This procedure will be valid only after 30 days of posting the advertisement of the name change.)