In our country, the change of name is a common thing. Especially in the case of women, the names get changed after marriage. Now, in case of marriage, divorce, or re-marriage, a person needs to update their names accordingly in their passport as it is one of the most important identity proof present today. Here, we are going to describe how you can update your name easily on the passport after divorce or marriage.
Online Process to Change or Update name in Passport:
- Log in with your user id and passport to the official website of Passport India. You can visit there by clicking the link http://www.passportindia.gov.in/.
- To change the name in case of divorce or marriage, you need to click on the option, ‘Apply for Fresh Passport / Re-issue of Passport’.
- You have to choose the option of reissue passport there.
- Fill up the application form.
- To change the marital status, you have to select the option ‘Change in existing personal particulars’. You can further specify the subcategory as ‘Spouse Name’.
- Now, click on next and fill the form according to your marital status.
- After completing all the steps, complete the payment and book an appointment.
- Visit the office at the time of the appointment with Xerox and original copies of all required documents.
- Verification will be done and if all goes good, you will get the updated passport within 3 weeks.