A PAN (Permanent Account Number) card is one of the most useful documents that are issued by the Government authority, which not only solves the purpose of Income Tax payment but also acts as an identity proof in many situations. It came into existence by the Income Tax Department in 1972 with a less effective format. It was at that time, based on a GIR number assigned manually to taxpayers and the entity that carried card holder’s information was not technically strong and hence was not unique.
Besides, in early time PAN card was not taken seriously as there was no rule or obligation for it. So it was not easy for the Government to keep track records of all the tax information of the citizens. As a result, Government treasury was being affected. To overcome the issues, the Income Tax department of Government of India continuously worked on it to upgrade the format of the PAN card by taking help of digital technologies and new ideas.
In the year 2017, a newly formatted PAN card was introduced for the first time and also made PAN card an obligation for taxpayers. This new format made many remarkable changes in the previous PAN card i.e. PAN number and signature of the cardholder were placed in a new place, the card holder’s name, father’s name fields were kept in separate area, for data verification, a Quick Response (QR) code was embedded on the card which carries the cardholder details to make all PAN unique for each cardholder.
In spite of all such changes, there were few more shortfalls with respect to the issuing and processing of PAN card. That’s why many people felt it tough to apply and get a PAN card easily because of his complicated and lengthy process. To obtain a PAN card, only offline mode was available at early stages of its introduction. Hence, so many erroneous cases arose in it, i.e. wrong spellings of name, wrong photograph, etc. To apply for or update a PAN card, people had to visit many offices for months.
To correct the erroneous information on the card, it was taking so long or even it was not been corrected for years. To face this scenario, online application and online correction of PAN card were introduced, which helped both the public and the Government in maintaining tax. Now, applying for and updating PAN card have become so easy with the help of the web.
To change PAN card address & name you can prefer two methods, one is online method and another one is offline method.
Online Method Change Pan Card Address & Name
- Go to the web and open the official website of NSDL or UTI and choose ‘PAN change/correction’.
- Update the field by replacing with the required information.
- Make a list of all documents that are asked to submit.
- Through net banking, debit or credit card, pay the amount charged.
- Take a print out and paste your photograph on the hard copy.
- Send the hard copy of the form along with the copy of all required documents by post to the official address of NSDL or UTI.
Offline Method Change Pan Card Address & Name
- Download the PAN correction form from the NSDL website.
- During filling up the form, also check the options of Correction of Existing PAN, Reissuance of PAN, Surrendering the Old PAN card.
- Submit the filled up form along with the copies of required documents to the nearest NSDL center.
- Receive the acknowledgment slip from the NSDL center and send the same to the NSDL office.