The Ration card is an important legal document issued by the government of India to its citizens for two main reasons:
- To serve as an identity proof and residential address proof.
- To enable economically disadvantaged citizens to access heavily subsidized food and other commodities such as kerosene through the public distribution system.
To avoid malpractice and to ensure that the system is able to serve well all economically disadvantaged Indians, it is essential to keep up to date the names and numbers of every member. This means that members’ names should be added when the household grows and deleted when members leave the family.
There are different causes of which members will have to be removed or deleted from the ration card:
- When a family member dies.
- When a family member leaves the family, such as in the case of marriage, divorce, or estrangement, or when a young member leaves home for work or to establish a family elsewhere.
In both cases, if a family member dies or a family member leaves, the name of that member should be deleted from the existing family card. In the second case, the deletion certificate received in the process will have to be produced if the individual desires to procure a new ration card, or join the family card of another household.
This name deletion or removal process can also be done online.
Online Process To Delete a Member From Ration Card:
- The name deletion application form can be done online from the state government’s official food and civil supply department website.
- To do that, you just have to go to your state government’s official Department of food and civil supplies website.
- In the Ration card section, just go to the name deletion link.
- Click the link and open the application form.
- Fill in all the details and upload the relevant documents such as a marriage certificate or death certificate.
- Submit the application and print out the receipt with the acknowledgment number.
- This number can be used to track the application progress, and you will receive your new card and the deletion certificate to the listed address in due course.