Millions of people visit India every year for work, study, or any other business. Lot of them have to stay for a long period of time. So, they think about taking the citizenship but without knowing the proper channels the process is a hard task to complete. So, here we are going to give you a full detailed information on how to apply online for the citizenship of India if you are a foreigner.
The Detailed Process to Apply for Indian Citizenship:
- The online process is one of the most easy ways of applying for a citizenship. First of all, you have to visit the website of Foreigners Division, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. There will be an option, ‘Apply Online’. Click on it.
- You will be redirected to a page with a lot of sections. Read carefully and choose the correct section.
- You also have the option of applying offline by downloading the form from the website. You can submit your filled form to the District Magistrate or the Collector of the place where you are staying.
- When you will click the appropriate section on the website, you will see the detailed information of the documentation needed.
- You have to gather all the documents at a place like another country passport and residential permit along with the fee. The fee is different for different occasions. You can check fee details on the website of Foreigners Division, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India.
- Scan all the documents as the scanned copies are necessary for the online application. Don’t forget that the maximum size of the scanned copies must be below 1 MB.
- The photograph which you are going to upload must be 100 pixels x 100 pixels. The size of the photograph must be under 20 KB and the format must be jpg.
- Now, it’s time to fill up the form with all the necessary information about you as well as your parents. The information of your passport is important too. There is a part of the application where you have to mention if you have a criminal background.
- You can pay the fee online and print out the challan as it will be necessary as a proof of your payment of fees.
- Now submit the application.
- You need to wait now as a lot of verification has to be done by the government officials. You will get the information of whether you are getting the citizenship or not within 60 days.
- You need to renounce citizenship through the country once your citizenship is accepted. You need to give the proof of the renouncement to the government of India.
- After that, you need to fill a Form-V and also pay a fee for that.
- Once all that done, you are officially a citizen of India.