The OCI (Overseas Citizenship of India) is a kind of dual citizenship’s for the persons of Indian origins under some categories. The people who migrated from India and are staying somewhere else other than Bangladesh or Pakistan are eligible to apply for the card. But they will get the card only if the country they stay in support dual citizenship. If you heard about the card and do not know the applying process, here we will describe the full process of applying for the card along with its full benefits.
Application Process for OCI Card:
- First of all, you have to visit the official website of passport or you can just click on the link https://passport.gov.in/oci/.
- The captcha question must be answered correctly and then click on enter.
- Now, you need to select the option, Fresh Application.
- The OCI form will open on your screen. You need to provide all correct information there. Double check it then click on the button, Save & Continue.
- A second page will open. Enter all appropriate information and click on NEXT.
- Now you will be redirected to the verification page. Rectify if there is any mistake and click on submit.
- The photo upload page will appear. You will see the file reference number along with the upload options of name and signature.
- Upload them.
- The uploaded image and the signature will be shown on the next page. Click OK if they are good or you can also re upload.
- In the next page, you will find the File reference number and the confirmation of your OCI registration. Click proceed to go to Part B.
- In the Part B, you need to answer several questions. Choose the answer which is most appropriate from the radio buttons.
- With all done, click on submit.
- Both Part A and B are completed. Click on the option, generate application form and print it out.
- Now, upload all necessary documents. You will get the list from the website. The size of the scanned documents must not cross 500 KB.
- After the uploading, your form is completed. Now you can click on the exit button.
- Now the online part is done.
- It’s time to send the printed form along with the documents to the consulate. Keep the originals with you for the verification process.
- The fee for the OCI card application is $290.
Holder Benefits of the OCI Card:
- The card holder will get multipurpose and multiple entry lifelong visa for visiting India.
- He can stay any amount of time in India and will not have to register to the police station.
- He will have the same rights as the NRIs in economic, financial, and educational fields.
- There are some points which they must know about their employment status in India.
- They can work anywhere other than the protected or the restricted area.
- They can get employment in the private sector.
- The card holder can start his own professional practice in India.
- For employment, they do not need any employment visa or registration with the FRRO.