PAN Card cancellation! Doesn’t it sound strange? Why such an important document would be cancelled? Let’s know the reason behind PAN card cancellation. An important document like PAN card gets cancelled for a single but serious reason, i.e. multiple owning of PAN cards by a single person.
In simple words, a PAN card cancellation is a must if it is found that the same person is having more than one PAN card. This will be even treated as a crime and the person may be imprisoned or heavily charged of fine.
For this, if you accidentally have been issued with more than one PAN card, you must cancel the extra one/ones immediately. The following steps will better help you in doing so.
- You can easily get the cancellation form online by following the website at https://www.tin-nsdl.com/services/pan/pan-index.html
- Scroll down the page until you reach to “Change/Correction in PAN Data” section.
- Choose “Apply” and open it.
- There you select “Changes or Correction in existing PAN Data / Reprint of PAN Card (No changes in existing PAN Data)” option from the dropdown list box.
- Choose among the required categories and fill up the complete form.
- You can scan your signature and documents and upload them online. You can now submit your application
- You will then need to make payments that it would ask through net banking, credit/debit card.
- Kindly save the application form and payment proof for future reference.
- Finally, take a print out of the acknowledgement copy and send the hardcopy via mail to
NSDL e-Gov at ‘Income Tax PAN Services Unit,
NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited,
5th Floor, Mantri Sterling,
Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8,
Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk,
Pune – 411 016
Before following the above steps, the PAN Card cancellation procedure also can be referred from https://www.tin-nsdl.com/faqs/pan/faq-pan-cancellation.html
To track the cancellation status, you may use the token number that you would be receiving after the form submission.