As per the Arms Act of 1959, a citizen of India can have an NPB (Non Prohibited Bore) Gun to protect themselves from life threats. So anyone can have a gun in Maharashtra by stating proper reasons to the Police Department and with applying in a proper way. But you cannot just use it as if the threat is not major, you will have to inform the police first. If you live in Maharashtra and do not know the process of applying for an arms license, you don’t have to worry. For your help, we are going to describe the whole process on how to apply for an arms license in Mumbai, Pune, Nagpur, Nashik, Vasai-Virar, Aurangabad, Maharashtrastep by step.
Process of Applying for Arms License in Maharashtra:
- First of all, the Deputy Commissioner needs to be approached as he is the person who will issue the license for arms and ammunition.
- You have to give an application there. You can download the application form from the official website or you can also get it in the office of the Deputy Commissioner.
- The form which you need to get is Form A.
- Now fill up the form properly without any mistake.
- Attach all necessary documents with the form. The list of documents is available in the website.
- Submit the form to the office of the Deputy Commissioner.
- The license department will verify the application along with your records and background.
- Your permanent address will also be verified.
- The officials will fetch information about you from your neighbors & relatives.
- After completing the step they will call you for a personal interview to check that whether you are physically and mentally fit or not.
- There must be a valid reason for your need of gun when they ask you for that. One of the most accepted reason is self-defense.
- The department will then check for any criminal record.
- At last, you will be again called for an interview but this time with the DCP licensing.
- If all the above is cleared, you will get the license.
- You can buy a weapon after 6 months of getting the license.
- But you have to submit the weapon for inspection and record to the Arms Licensing Branch.